Three weeks later…

Monday, March 8th

The girls cried out a few times, which meant little sleep for Jennifer. It wasn’t much different than at home (and they never needed any intervention), but because they were so far from us and ill, I had to go see what was going on each time. By 7, we were all up for the day, showered and ready to pack up.
The original plan, in order to maximize our vacation time (and points value at HHI) and to drive through the night again, was to leave after dinner. Because of the illness, we decided we’d probably leave a little earlier just because the logistics of being out all day (without a “home base” after checking out of the hotel) would be a bit harder than usual. When we remembered about that stupid I-40 rockslide (and learned our trip home would be much longer than anticipated), we realized we’d have to leave even earlier than planned.
We thought the girls would LOVE “swimming” in the jacuzzi tub (sans jets, of course!), but for whatever reason (illness? neuroses? a combination thereof?) Avery had an absolute meltdown, and it was all we could do to even get her clean. Elise played for a while while I got everything packed, and we were out of the room around 10:45.
We spent some time letting the girls wander, play in the hammock, and burn a bit of energy before Tide Me Over opened for lunch. We were bound and determined to eat there, and are… somewhat glad we did. It was pretty good, though not worth the anticipation! πŸ™‚
After lunch we drove to Sea Pines to walk around the shops and piers at Harbour Town, and even caught a glimpse of dolphins and “the world’s most photographed lighthouse” (which is always so lame to me, sorry Hilton Head loyalists). Mostly, we were there to play a bit. After the girls took a brief nap, we let them play on the playground which they loved, other than the “beach” play surface. πŸ™‚
Just before 2, we decided not to prolong the agony any longer. We started on our journey home, one that would be horrible. By 4:30am Tuesday when we finally rolled into our garage, 2 extremely sick girls and 2 adults that weren’t feeling so hot either were honestly thrilled to be home. Even in those moments we knew that the vacation was fantastic overall, but it was very much over and we were ready to settle back into a routine.
Of course, despite the fact that it took longer than usual to do just that (given illness and job-hunt drama), it HAS been nearly three weeks, you know.
Which means we’re ready to go back. πŸ˜‰


  1. More great pictures! Avery is looking quite healthy in this last batch. Was she starting to feel better by then? Either way, the girls are beautiful, like always. πŸ™‚ You and kyle took some fantastic pictures as well, lucky ducks!